5.3. Support Learners with I can cards
One way to help learners understand activity instructions is to create I Can cards. I Can cards were developed by Kristen Wideen, a teacher in Canada. I Can cards provide learners with simple step by step instructions that are supported with visuals and also come with a word bank. Click on this link for an example: I Can cards.
For this task, you will complete an I Can card to help a learner understand how to do an activity with a mobile app. Follow these instructions:
1st Decide on an app you would like to introduce to your learners. Think of a simple task they can do with that app. Try any digital storytelling app. You will find many free apps by clicking here for IOS apps and here for Android Apps. Here are a few suggestions:
- Picture Book - Create a picture book with your photos and text or choose from a variety of stickers, templates, and pictures. For idevices
- Bunsella Bedtimes Story- students narrate a children’s story, can upload personal photos that become part of the story, then email the video of the narrated story. Others can respond to these read stories. Available on i-devices.
- Fotobabble - It’s incredibly easy for children and adults to create audio/visual stories on the iPhone and iPod Touch using this app. Use the built in microphone, or any 3rd party microphone to create audio recordings with photos.
- Sock Puppets - If you enjoy playing with sock puppets, you’ll love this app that allows students to create a sock puppet show. Choose the sock puppet characters, personalize the characters by adding your voice, select the scene and props, and record a video. Send this by email or upload to Youtube. Available on the iPad and iPod.
- Puppet Pals - Choose the western characters, personalize the characters by adding your voice, select the scene and props, and record a video. Send this by email or upload to Youtube. Available on the iPad and iPod.
- VideoEditor Free
- VideoFX Live
- Splice for iPad
- Animoto - Upload up to 10 images, choose a soundtrack from the library (many nice holiday tunes to choose from, and click a button to make a 30-second video. Sync your videos with your Animoto.com account, download videos for offline viewing, and make longer ones with an All-Access Pass. Available on the idevices and Android.
- Create A Comic App - free comic creation app for Android and i-devices.
- AudioBoo - Share audio stories in this online community. Go an extra step and create a qr code and have students scan and listen to the stories. Available for i-devices, Android, and Nokia.
2nd Download this I Can card template and complete it.
3rd Click below on the Add submission button and upload your I Can card. Then, click Save and View so that your contribution is recorded. Once registered, you can modify at any time by clicking on Edit my submission, until you send it for grading by clicking on Submit assignment.
The tutor will verify that you have completed this task and assess it using the corresponding rubric.