Create A Visual Prompt
Teachers can use story creation tools to begin a story that learners will complete. These story starters are prompts, or topic starters, our learners can create stories around. Writing prompts are a useful teaching tool when beginning to implement digital storytelling activities. Prompts can be used to get learners to complete digital stories in a short time period.
For this task you will create a visual and or multimedia prompt for your students. Make sure that it appeals to the age group you are teaching and is related to what you are teaching.
1st Choose any of the digital storytelling tools in the Sandbox to create your visual and/or multimedia prompt .
2nd Research any of these resources that will provide you with many story prompts. Feel free to visualize one of these prompts. You do not have to come up with an original prompt, but the prompt should relate to your subject matter.
- Writing Prompts Tumblr - several beautiful images with prompts
- Story Starters - Creative writing prompts in various genres
- Story It - For kids, a cartoon like character appears next to a prompt that is a few sentences long
- PicLits - Drag and drop words onto an image. Library of images provided.
- Plinky- A new question is generated daily. Add images to your writing and email it.
- Journal Jar- app for mobile devices, shake and a prompt is generated.
- Shake and Tell IOS App- shake for a snippet of a story then record and upload to Youtube.
3rd When your prompt is completed, please submit it by following these instructions:
- click the button below labeled Add a new discussion topic.
- In the Subject, include your first and last name's prompt about topic. For example, Jane Doe who teaches science would write in the Subject line Jane Doe's Prompt About Insects
- In the Message, include
- include a link to your prompt if applicable.
- If you create an image, please include it by clicking on the tree icon. You may need to take a screenshot of the image.
- If you have a video, slideshow, book, or other multimedia, you will have to embed your prompt by copying/pasting the embed code, which you get from the web tool. Then click on HTML and paste that code. Make sure to click Update to make sure the prompt embeds.
- Click Post to Forum so that your story is recorded. Check to see that your submission is posted to the forum.
4th Try completing one of your peers' writing prompts.
This task is voluntary but will help you explore the topic more and give you the opportunity to receive extra feedback from your instructor and peers.