5 Storybook Creation Tools
Click on this link to be led to the Symbaloo of free storybook creation tools. Click on any of the icons to be led to that tool. Scroll down this page to see written descriptions of some of the tools. This resource is continuously updated. When you are finished with your creation, please add it to our Digital Storytelling Glossary.
- Little Bird Tales- Students can draw their own art or upload images to create a book where they add their voice and text to narrate their story. Then they can embed, create PDFs and MP4s of their stories. Available for i-devices for $2.99 but the web tool allows for the creation of free stories.
- Storybird-Perhaps the easiest storybook creation tool! Students create beautiful stories by choosing beautiful art and adding the words. Embed in a blog or wiki.
- Bookr- Students choose from Flickr pics. They can upload their Flickr pics. They create the text, embeddable.
- UTellStory- Create a digital story with photos, video, voice, music and words, embeddable.
- Storyjumper- Similar to Storybird. Students choose from art collections by artists, create the text; not embeddable like Storybird.
- BoomWriter- Easiest way to get your students to create a collaborative book for the whole class, with another class, or in small groups. Students collaboratively create a book, then vote on which chapters should be included in the finished product.
- Picture Book Maker- Create a beautiful children’s book by choosing characters and props and creating the text. The end product looks like a real book that children can order.
- Simple Booklet- Create flip books with beautiful images and text. This is more ideal for teens to adults. No registration required.
- The Art of Storytelling- Create books by choosing works of art. Record yourself telling the story.
- Dr. Seuss Story Creator- Choose music, text, backgrounds and feature some of your favorite Dr. Seuss characters.
- Pinky Dinky Doo- For kids. Children pick what kind of story to create, then they fill in gaps in a story that has characters and a plot line.
- Storymaker by British Council- This is more of a story generator. Students get to choose the type of story, then choose various elements of a story that has already been created.
Storybook Creation Apps
- Storypanda- Features books with tap, swipe, and drag. Choose backgrounds and characters, etc. Kids can place themselves into the story or create their own stories.
- StoryBots- create books on the iPad starring the student! The app is free for the iPad. Includes animations and art. Various options to purchase the book.
- Flying Books App-(free, i-devices) Multimedia books offered in English, French, Spanish and German. Kids listen to an expert narrator or read on their own. Record a story or create personalized books with artwork and photos.